Find and share the places you love. Say hi to foursquare Lists.
We’ll be updating this post with links to all these amazing lists when they are live! Check back later to play with the lists! It’s now live for everyone. Have fun!
You have a list of the places you want to see this summer in New York. And the attractions you recommend to all your friends who visit Greece. And you’re slowly working your way down your friend’s list of restaurants with the best views in the world.
Good news: your list-making powers are about to grow to superhero levels. Over the course of the day, we’re going to be rolling out a new set of features that helps you find and share them all: Lists on foursquare.
Make lists with ease
Putting together lists has always been pretty annoying. How do you share? How do you coordinate? How do you keep it updated? We looked at all these problems and made something that is super easy to use. Here are a few things you’ll notice:
- On your profile page, we’ve already come up with list ideas from your check-ins, like your favorite Italian restaurants or the best live music venues. You can use those as a starting point.
- We also made it really fast to build one from scratch – we auto-complete places as you type, and we suggest related places for you, using the same magic that goes into our Explore algorithm.
- And, if you’re checking out places on foursquare.com or browsing Tips, one click on [+save] and you’ve started a list on the fly.
Package up all your expertise into lists so your friends and the foursquare community can enjoy them. Try building one to see how quick and easy it is.
Lists are better with friends
Just like everything we do at foursquare, Lists are all about sharing with your friends. Want to plan a trip to Paris? Create a blank list and share it with your friends who know the city best. They can load it up with all their best suggestions. Think your buddy will love your list of best food trucks in Los Angeles? It’s simple to share it with him. And, best of all: the lists are alive. If friends later add more places to a list you follow (like the Hipster Coffee Shop Explosion list), you’ll see everything they drop in.
Have a fun time exploring
When we launched Explore (our recommendation system), it was all about helping you discover new things to do in the real world. Lists are all about discovery and exploration, too. On each place, you can now see suggestions of related Lists, so you might see a list of ‘Pancakes across America‘ at the Clinton Street Bakery. Lists are everywhere: see your friends’ best lists when you go to foursquare.com, see all of their lists on their profile page, and, on each Tip, see what Lists it belongs to. Lists connect everything you do on foursquare.
To get us started, a bunch of our partners have put together some lists:
- Lucky Magazine (one of their Lists: Favorite LA Home Stores)
- Time Out NY (Best New Burgers in NYC)
- Texas A&M (Aggie Traditions)
- Travel Channel (Man v Food Nation)
- Eater (Austin Eater 38)
- MTV (MTV’s Hot Music Video Locations)
- Alicia Keys (The Making of Songs In A Minor)
- People Magazine (Star-Gazing Spots!)
- ASU (Fall Welcome Events: West campus)
- Racked (Chicago Racked 38)
- Wolfgang Puck (Guide to Las Vegas)
- Texas Tech (Game Day!)
- Bravo (Best Real Housewives of NYC Drama Spots)
- Logo TV (Nightlife)
So start packaging your expertise, sharing it with friends, and following those created by the people you love. Create a list of the best brunch spots and you’ll always have fun plans for the weekend. Follow the best golf courses in the world and tick them off, one by one, over the years.
Happy exploring with foursquare, now made better with Lists.
P.S. This is just the start. Pretty soon, there will be even more ways to take Lists with you in our mobile app. In the meantime, in the foursquare app on your phone, all these places will be added to your To-Do List tab, and you’ll see when friends follow the same lists in your Notifications Tray. And there’s more on the horizon. Stay tuned.